I was surprised to read this week that putatively educated Americans ( a Louisiana lawyer, a Colorado dentist , an ABC News reporter ) don't understand the concept of marginal tax rates. Because of this lack of comprehension, per ABC, the lawyer and dentist are vowing to keep their taxable income below $250,000 to avoid President Obama's proposed tax increase: "I've put thought into how to get under $250,000," said [the ill-informed dentist]. "It would mean working fewer days which means having fewer employees, seeing fewer patients and taking time off." Apparently some clarification is called for . Below is a US federal income tax table for 2009 ( source ). This does not mean that if you bring in more than $372,951, every single dollar in your entire pile of money is taxed at 35%. Only Dollar #372,952 (plus whatever additional money you may earn) is taxed at that rate. Dollar #372,950 is taxed at 33%. Meanwhile, Dollar #1 is taxed at 10%. Hence the ter...
In selecting my international sample, I decided to examine the top 5 countries in each of four categories: Longest life expectancy (longest) Lowest infant mortality (least) Highest health care expenditure per capita Greatest prevalence of physicians My source for these stats was the invaluable Nationmaster.com . (Note: As a proxy for Hong Kong and Macau, I've used China's expenditure figure, since they've both been under Chinese rule for the last decade.) Given where the two dimensions of this graph ultimately lead, I've nicknamed it "Death and Taxes (Sorta)."
Eloquent yet immediately comprehensible. A dead-simple concept that illustrates a great truth. Because it is based on extremely solid data -- geographic size, which is as close to actual fact as we can get -- the result is inarguable. Exemplary.
Comments
Post a Comment